Updated: Nov 8, 2019
It is a hidden gem as it is off the beaten path of touristic routes, but if you are in Lublin take a drive to Kozłówka. This is one of the most authentic, best preserved palaces in Poland.
This beautiful palace has been owned by one of the most noble family in Poland - Zamoyski family -since 1799.
The creator of the family power, Jan Zamojski (1542-1605), Chancellor and Grand Hetman of the Crown, was an outstanding statesman, politician and scholar - a true Renaissance man. He founded Zamość – “an ideal city”, the Zamość Academy - the third Polish university and the Zamość Ordinance - the first majorate on Polish soil.
The fortune has been passed down from generation to generation.
It is worth mentioning the family's mother, Zofia Czartoryska, as she was called in the family, which was married by Stanisław Zamoyski, the 12th Ordinary. She was considered to be one of the most eminent ladies in Poland and Europe. She gave birth to 10 children - seven sons and three daughters.
Zofia took care of the religious education of children and the learning of the Polish language (in the era of the general rule of French).
The father hid the sons harshly, respecting the law and duties, in the cult of economy and work. From an early age they were taught a family maxim: “it is already the case that we are born not for ourselves, but for the country.”
Stanisław's grandson, Count Konstanty Zamoyski, who is very proud of his family, set himself the ambitious goal of obtaining for Kozłówka the status of an ordinance (i. e. an inalienable and indivisible property inherited by the eldest son or another man of the family) and creating a large mansion.
In 1903, on the basis of the Tsar's decree, the Kozłowiecka Ordinance was established on 7650 hectares, including about 4500 hectares of forests. The expansion lasted from 1898 to 1911.
The interiors of the palace received new decoration, neo-rococo and neo-regenerative plafonds, marble fireplaces, Meissen stoves, decorative parquets. The rooms are decorated in the style of the Second Empire, which prevailed in France when Konstantin Zamoyski was young.
The wall was hardly visible from behind the paintings framed in rich frames (mainly family portraits). The Count has collected a huge collection of over a thousand paintings.
The residence, modelled on 18C of magnate residences, was a dream of old Poland, but also a dream of an ideal residence, i. e. Versailles. Apart from the chapel, there were also copies of Versailles'; fireplaces, lamps, fountains, clocks, paintings and furniture.
During the reconstruction, the residents' comfort was also taken care of. Water supply and sewage system were installed, six spacious bathrooms were arranged and the chapel was equipped with central heating.
The next Ordinate (1923-1940) was Konstanty's uncle's brother Adam, who lived mostly in the Warsaw residence on Foksal Street and came to Kozłówka several times a year.
Last owner – Alexander Zamoyski was arrested by the Gestapo in 1944 and imprisoned in the concentration camp of Auschwitz and subsequently, Dachau. His wife Jadwiga Zamoyska, together with her children Adam, Maria and Andrzej, left Kozłówka as she feared the approaching front. She took with her to Warsaw the most precious works of art, most of which most regrettably got lost in the Warsaw Uprising.
In 1944 the former Kozłówka entailed estate was taken over by the State, together with the palace-and-park complex, under the Agricultural Reform Decree enacted by the newly established communist authorities.
The Zamoyski family emigrated to Canada in 1948.
Knowing the history of World War II you can imagine how difficult it was to be able to save anything - especially art or treasures against nazi Germans, Russian army then Polish-soviet communists.
The palace's collection is approx. 1,000 paintings, 600 gilded frames, 50 giant mirrors, 50 lambquarks and curtains. Numerous furniture from 18i 19C, 2 large glassware with Zamoyski coat of arms and porcelain survived. Even the historical vacuum cleaner and mangle have been preserved.
The palace library has 7792 volumes, including 620 old prints. Correspondence, historical photographs and. . . 1500 rolls with classical music recordings to play on pianos and organoles have been preserved.
Already after the overthrow of communism in Poland, in 1992, with the consent of Adam Zamoyski, the son of the last ordytan, the museum was given the name of the Zamoyski Museum in Kozłówka.
There is also gorgeous baroque park to explore. The Italian and French gardens are beautifully groomed and manicured. Peacocks roam the property and if there is no rain you can also meet a robot lawn cutter.
If you wish to travel to East Poland and visit that magnificent place, contact us! email@example.com